Usage and Care
ATTENTION! Do NOT boil or use any chemicals at any time on either The Keeper or on our Moon Cup! To learn why, go here.
The Moon Cup is reusable, earth-friendly, easy-to-use, and economical. It is made of non-latex, medical-grade silicone.
Inserting The Moon Cup
1. After washing your hands, simply fold your Moon Cup by pressing the sides of the lightweight, flexible cup together (Illus. 1)
2. Then, fold the cup in half again (Illus. 2).
3. Now, hold the folded Moon Cup between your thumb and index finger, as shown in Illus. 2.
4. To insert The Moon Cup, sit on the toilet (or in an equally relaxed position) and insert your folded Moon Cup completely into the vagina. Let the cup unfold by releasing your
5. After inserting, gently rotate it with your fingertips, before gently pulling it down and forward into
position at your vaginal opening. Gently pull on the stem and you should feel that your Moon Cup is firmly in place.
6. As you can see in illus. 3, The Moon Cup follows the natural slant of your vagina. It does not touch the cervix but rests comfortably below it. Be sure the stem is at the entrance to the vagina, and completely outside of your body.
Removing The Moon Cup
1. Sit on the toilet and grasp the stem firmly so that the tips of your fingers pinch the base of the cup. This action allows air to enter around the cup, releasing the suction, and making it easy to remove.
2. Ease your Moon Cup gently
forward and downward,
supporting the bottom of the
cup with your fingertips
to prevent spilling.
3. Empty the contents of the cup into the toilet.
4. If you are still having your period and want to reinsert your Moon Cup, simply rinse it or wipe it with a tissue and reinsert.
5. At the end of your period, wash The Moon Cup in soapy water – or it can be rinsed (not soaked) in dilute vinegar solution (1 part vinegar to 9 parts water). Rinse it in this solution for no more than 3 minutes.
6. Let your Moon Cup air dry. Place your Moon Cup in the convenient fabric bag it came in to store it between periods.
7. DO NOT rinse or soak your Moon Cup in any solution stronger than 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water or in any other chemical solution. Exposing The Moon Cup to such solutions can result in damage to it.
How Often Should I Empty My Moon Cup?
Your Moon Cup holds one full ounce of menstrual fluid. Most women produce only 2 to 4 ounces during their entire periods. So, emptying the cup a few times each day is usually sufficient. In a month or two, you will become familiar with your own menstrual flow pattern, and will know when to empty it.
The Moon Cup is made of medical-grade silicone (non-latex).
Use only as directed.